Thursday, November 5, 2009

30 Second Timeout + ABCs and 123s



Imagine having to discipline a kid with a face and smile as sweet as this. I had to discipline Sofia last night for the first time in her entire life. That's a pretty good track record, she's really pretty easy going and doesn't push the boundaries too much. So for 22 months and 3 weeks we've had it pretty good.

The whole incident really wasn't that big of a deal but since this was a first I thought I'd like to look back down the road and remember...

I was on the computer and Sofia came up and started punching buttons. I asked her to stop as usual and she didn't. I asked her again and I moved her little arm. She looked at me then, square in the eye with this mischievous grin and hit me in the face! I was a little taken aback but I reacted quickly, picked her up and put her in the corner of the couch, looked back into her sweet, little, now-serious face and said, "No, Sofia. You DO NOT hit. That is not nice." And then I thought about what ABC's Supernanny would do. She puts kids in time-out one minute per year. So a two-year old should go in time-out for 2 minutes. But for some reason I must have thought Sofia was 6 months old because I then very seriously told her, "Now you sit here in time-out for, (pause) um, 30 seconds."

I was trying so hard to be a disciplinarian. But then I look over at Dan who is sitting on the couch next to Sofia and his entire body is shaking. I move my gaze up to his face and he's covering his mouth, trying his hardest to hide his laughing from our sweet little troublemaker seated next to him. This makes me lose it and now I'm laughing as hard as he is and trying as well to hide my laughter. Sofia was pretty unfazed. She gave a little whine and cry because she knew she'd done wrong, or at least that she was in trouble. Once her 30-second time-out was over I gave her a hug and talked to her about being sorry, (Supernanny would be proud) and she went on about her way.

I know her infractions will get more serious and I will get better at this but I think our little girl will be testing her boundaries more and more in the upcoming years. So it's nice now to know that we can still laugh.

**UPDATE**
This scenario repeated itself tonight, almost exactly. This time she was a bit more upset during timeout. I wanted to pull her to me immediately and tell her it was ok but I knew this was a teaching moment so I held firm. I'm not too worried about the behavior though as I'm certain she's testing her boundaries. I think I'd be more worried if she was acting out of aggression or frustration.

ABCs and 123s
Sofia loves singing and music so it was no surprise to me that she had learned the ABC song. She's pretty good at saying a majority of the letters.

Recently she also learned to count to ten. I was so proud of our girl, but I thought for sure she didn't understand the actual concept of counting but had rather memorized the sequence. Well, turns out she actually DOES understand counting. For instance, if she has a cracker and I give her another one she'll say, "One, two cracker." It's really cute. So lately she's been counting things, including her fingers.

I finally got both of these random acts of cuteness on video.

The ABCs video was taken in the car while sitting in rush hour traffic, which is why you only see the top of her head.



The counting video was sort of taken against her will as she's taken to saying NO when I pull the camera out. I guess she's tired of being Mommy's trick pony! But she obliges when I ask her to count the monkeys in her book.

No comments: