Friday, April 15, 2011

Lunch With a Three Year Old

I had lunch with Sofia today. Ana was at Grandma's house so Dan and I could get a much needed night of uninterrupted sleep. Of course, for Grandma she slept from 11:15 straight to 6:15 but whatever, I won't hold it against her!

Anyway, Sofia and I had an unusual moment alone and over pizza and bananas (and wearing pjs and a sun hat) she told me some interesting stories.



One about when she was cooking and her pot fell off the edge and broke on the floor into "a million pieces," and then she "never cooked again," but that was okay because she bought another one. She told that story with occasional glances over to the dutch oven that was sitting on our stove top.

Then she told me about how she was going to grow up and she'd be one, and two, and I'm already three, then four, then five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eweven, twelve, fourteen, sixteen, eighteen and twenty! (She has a penchant for leaving out the odd numbers.) I told her I couldn't believe it but that yes, one day she'd be 20 years old. And I told her that when she was 20 she'd be such a big girl that she'd probably live all by herself. And the sweet thing got a sad face and said in a scared voice, "But I might need your help!"



I promised her that one day I'd remind her of that and I vowed that Daddy and I would be there, always, to help her. It was so sweet how concerned she was. And I was reminded just how much she relies on us for her comfort and confidence. She's in that sweet stage where she randomly blurts out that she loves us and gives us kisses and hugs at the spur of the moment. She's so sweet and I love her so much. I don't ever want to forget these days!

1 comment:

Ellagator said...

Girl I teared up reading this.. sniff sniff. I can't believe our girls are growing up! :) We need a play date soon!