Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Rest In Peace

My grandmother, Maria Emilia Rodriguez, passed away this afternoon. She was 85 years old. Abuela had been in a nursing home and suffering from dementia. She really hasn't been herself for some time now and her quality of life had begun to diminish so, in a way, her passing was a blessing. We were fortunate enough to have her in a very nice assisted living facility that kept her clean and well taken care of. They dressed her daily and kept her comfortable. She died with dignity in her sleep.

I know we are all very sad as we will miss Abuela and the woman she was. I have so many memories of her, as I'm sure all my siblings do, of great times spent in Connecticut and Miami, precious memories of her and Teto. Te queremos mucho, Abuela. Que dios te bendiga.

Services will be in Miami next week. Please pray for our family and for Abuela, especially for my aunt, Emi, who has taken all the responsibilty for her care. We are very grateful for all she's done and hope that in Abuela's passing she will find peace.

Here are some recent pictures of Abuela. I don't have any photos on my computer of her the way we all remember her. She hated having her photo taken and I know she's cursing me for putting these on the web but such is life! But if anyone else has some other photos please email them to me and I'll post them here.


Easter weekend - Sofia's first visit with Ayaya, as Matthew calls her


celebrating Abuela's 85 birthday, April 2008

No comments: